Kashmiri adj : of or relating to or characteristic of Kashmir or its people or culture; "the Kashmiri mountains"; "Kashmiri love poems"
1 a member of the people of Kashmir
2 the official state language of Kashmir
- Of or pertaining to the people Kashmir or the Kashmiri language.
- For other uses, see Kashmiri (disambiguation)
Kashmiri is the state official language of Jammu and Kashmir and also one of the national languages of India. Some Kashmiri speakers use English or Urdu as a second language. In the past few decades, Kashmiri was introduced as a subject at the university and the colleges of the valley. At present, attempts are on for inclusion of Kashmiri in school curriculum.
LiteratureIn 1919 George Abraham Grierson wrote that “Kashmiri is the only one of the Dardic languages that has a literature”. Kashmiri literature dates back to over 750 years, this is, more-or-less, the age of many a modern literature including English.
Writing systemKashmiri has remained a spoken language up to the present times, though some manuscripts were written in the past in the Sharada script, and then in Perso-Arabic script. Currently, Kashmiri is written in either the Perso-Arabic script (with some modifications) or the Devanagari script. Among languages written in the Perso-Arabic script, Kashmiri is practically unique, in that it regularly indicates all vowel sounds
- Grierson, George Abraham. A Dictionary of the Kashmiri Language. Calcutta: Asiatic Society of Bengal, 1932.
- Lexical Borrowings in Kashmiri by Ashok K KoulDelhi: Indian Institute of Language Studies,2008.
- Linguistic Studies in Kashmiri by Omkar N Koul New Delhi: Bahri Publications, 1977.
- Aspects of Kashmiri Linguistics edited by Omkar N Koul and Peter Edwin Hook New Delhi: Bahri Publications, 1984.
- Kashmir history & Culture
- An Intensive Course in Kashmiri by Omkar N Koul Mysore: Central Institute of Indian Languages, 1985.
- An Intermediate Course in Kashmiri by Omkar N. Koul Mysore: Central Institute of Indian Languages, 1994.
- Kashmiri: A Cognitive-Descriptive Grammar by Kashi Wali and Omkar N Koul London: Routledge 1997.
- Kashmiri-English Dictionary for Second Language Learners by Omkar N. Koul, S. N. Raina and R. K. Bhat Mysore: Central Institute of Indian Languages, 2000.
- An Introduction to Spoken Kashmiri
- Koshur: An Introduction to Spoken Kasmiri
- Basic words and phrases in Kashmiri language
- Kashmiri literary magazine
- Kashmiri online newspaper
Kashmiri in Amharic: ካሽሚርኛ
Kashmiri in Arabic: لغة كشميرية
Kashmiri in Bengali: কাশ্মিরি ভাষা
Kashmiri in Breton: Kachmireg
Kashmiri in Czech: Kašmírština
Kashmiri in Danish: Kashmirisk (sprog)
Kashmiri in German: Kashmiri
Kashmiri in Spanish: Kashmiri
Kashmiri in Esperanto: Kaŝmira lingvo
Kashmiri in French: Kashmiri
Kashmiri in Korean: 카슈미르어
Kashmiri in Hindi: कश्मीरी भाषा
Kashmiri in Indonesian: Bahasa Kashmiri
Kashmiri in Kannada: ಕಾಶ್ಮೀರಿ
Kashmiri in Kashmiri: Kŏśura zabāna
Kashmiri in Malayalam: കശ്മീരി ഭാഷ
Kashmiri in Dutch: Kasjmiri
Kashmiri in Japanese: カシミール語
Kashmiri in Norwegian: Kasjmiri
Kashmiri in Polish: Język kaszmirski
Kashmiri in Portuguese: Língua caxemira
Kashmiri in Kölsch: Kashmiirėsch (Shprooch)
Kashmiri in Russian: Кашмири
Kashmiri in Sanskrit: कश्मीरी
Kashmiri in Slovak: Kašmírčina
Kashmiri in Serbian: Кашмири језик
Kashmiri in Serbo-Croatian: Kašmiri jezik
Kashmiri in Finnish: Kašmirin kieli
Kashmiri in Swedish: Kashmiri
Kashmiri in Tamil: காஷ்மீரி மொழி
Kashmiri in Thai: ภาษาแคชเมียร์
Kashmiri in Chinese: 克什米爾語